110 S. Pine Street, Suite 221
Santa Maria, CA 93458
110 S. Pine Street, Suite 101
Santa Maria, CA 93458
- Bids and Proposals
- Public Works Fees
- Capital Projects
- Street Maintenance & Funding
- Engineering Division
- Encroachment Permit Procedures
- Public Transit Services
City Lights / Traffic Signals
Report inoperable streetlights and traffic signal concerns by contacting (805) 925-0951 ext. 2229. After hours or on weekends you may leave a message on the City's Streetlight Hotline - (805) 925-0951 ext. 2229.
City Sidewalk / Potholes
Report a damaged, raised or hazardous City sidewalk or a pothole by contacting (805) 925-0951 ext. 2229.
To report an unsafe condition at a City facility contact (805) 925-0951 ext. 2229.
STEVEN B. KAHN
Director of Public Works
City Phone: (805) 925.0951 ext. 2225
City Fax: (805) 928-4995
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manager of Public Works Department, streets and facilities maintenance; transit system; and engineering.
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Registered Civil Engineer - California
- Licensed Land Surveyor - California
- A.A., Cabrillo Junior College
- B.S., Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Director, Public Works Department, City of Santa Maria
- Utilities Engineer, City of Santa Maria
- Public Works Director, City of Atascadero
- Senior Civil Engineer, City of Santa Maria
- Senior Engineer, Engineering Development Associates
- Staff Engineer, Central Coast Engineering
- American Society of Civil Engineers - SLO Branch
- American Public Works Association – Central Coast Chapter
- Marital status: Married 30 years
- Children: Two
- General interests: golfing, backpacking, gardening, ocean sports
To effectively provide public works services to all City residents in a courteous, responsive, responsible and efficient manner.
- Complete the schematic design and identify funding sources as steps toward retrofitting the old library into a “City of Santa Maria One-Stop Business Center” that eventually will house various departments to provide the public with one central location to efficiently handle all their City business transactions.
- Coordinate with other departments on the design and funding - which may include CDBG monies - of Buena Vista Park improvements, to include new walkways, trees, lawn areas, recreation facilities, and gathering areas while incorporating the existing Camp Fire Cabin.
- Work with the Community Development Department on the review, design, construction, and inspection of the Enos Ranchos Specific Plan Improvements, to promote new residences, a school, and more businesses and jobs in the community.
- Continue collaboration with the Information Technology Division on the design and construction of the fiber optic loop to interconnect most City facilities, reduce operational costs and facilitate access to broadband communication.
- Send out Request for Proposals to update the Citywide Traffic Model, a project that will update the traffic circulation patterns and volumes – and staff will consider different options that will allow internal operations.
- Implement Citywide the Web Help Desk Program. This program will help the Facilities Division staff manage all City facility maintenance requests, improving efficiencies in organizing, scheduling and tracking all work performed and providing an up-to-date status for requesting departments.
- Collaborate with the Utilities Department on the bidding and construction of the grant-funded Jim May Park Denitrification Bio-filter Project to improve the groundwater quality of the Santa Maria Groundwater Basin by removing nitrogen from surface and groundwater.
- Design and construct the Blosser Road Bio-retention Project to percolate more surface water into the Santa Maria Groundwater Basin, while also enhancing landscaping, a pocket park and educational signage.
- Complete annual roadway maintenance projects such as chip seal, slurry seal, overlay or reconstruction as recommended by the City’s Pavement Management System.
- Continue with the bus stop improvement program to provide more amenities for waiting passengers in an effort to improve customer service and increase the community’s use of public transportation.